Thursday, October 9, 2014

Calling All Spirits!


With Halloween coming up, its time to break out the sinister themed manicures! I was invited to enter a Halloween nail art contest by Julep and it only took a second to decide to use Ouija as my inspiration. Whether you believe in the Ouija board or not, it can still be pretty spooky and it was fun always wondering if your friends were pushing the planchette or not.


Now I almost went with molding Ouija planchettes out of acrylic, but then I thought what if the nails themselves were shaped like planchettes? Then I took it a step further and wondered if there was a way to make a hole in the nail to reveal the Ouija letters. The answer is yes, if you have a hole punch and some fake nails! I used Zoya Godiva as a sparkly base for my Ouija board and hand painted the letters. 

In order for my tan base to pop, I went with Sinful Colors Dark Room for the overlay nails. After cutting and placing some decorative confetti, I layered some top coat to make the holes look like they contained glass. And for a final touch, I added a golden sun and moon charm to bring in some imagery from the board itself. I spent most of the night working on this look, but I really love it. Its something I've never done before and I had a ton of fun putting it together and seeing my idea come to life!

Thanks to Julep for bringing out the Halloween inspiration!


5 comments:

  1. This is stunning! Such a fantastic idea for Halloween. Very spooky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really impressive!!


    newcomplaintclothing.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not big on the bulky look, but love the art otherwise! Love all the details and inspiration from the ouija board! I've always wanted to play it, need to get one! haha

    ReplyDelete