Sunday, August 10, 2014

Disney Inspiration: Maleficent

Quick note: If you haven't seen Maleficent, there are spoilers ahead.


As far as Disney villains go, Maleficent has got to be my favorite! I was worried how the movie would be at first, but I thought it ended up fantastic. Being the nail lover I am, I noticed Maleficent's manicure immediately. What started as a simple tan stiletto, turned into a devilish Louboutin manicure once the spell was cast. Immediately I got inspiration and decided to create a manicure based on the magnificent villainess!


First I filed and shaped a set of fakes, because I'm not edgy enough and far too clumsy to rock such sharp nails. I used Essie Cocktails And Coconuts as a shimmery nude base and sponged Illamasqua Omen near the base of the nails. I wanted to show her struggle between good and evil, so I hand placed glass glitter to symbolize her evil side crumbling. The unfortunate part was that the glass glitter wasn't originally opaque, so I had to hand paint each piece with black acrylic paint after placing. For the accent, I decided to sponge on Sinful Colors Dark Room and place chains across the nail. The chains represent not only the chains she's caught with, but the fact that faeries are burnt if they come in contact with iron. 


2 comments:

  1. These are so cool! I love all of your Disney manis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have so much fun with the Disney manicures. :)

      Delete