Sunday, January 20, 2013

Flocking Powder Spots Tutorial!

So I've noticed that my Monster's Inc. nails have gotten really popular lately and a lot of people were wondering how exactly I did the flocking powder spots! So I decided to finally make a tutorial and show anyone who is interested!


First off you want to pick a base color that will be similar to the color of the flocking powder you'll be using for your background. You don't need a top coat here, so just let that color dry.


Then take a color similar to what color you'll be using for your flocking powder spots! Just make a spot of polish where you want your spots to be.


Here comes the messy part! I suggest using a bowl underneath your fingers, to catch any stray powder. Take the flocking powder and sprinkle it over the polish spot you just made. It needs to be wet, so don't let that spot dry! After you poured enough powder on top, gently press down to push the powder into the polish so that it'll stick.


I suggest doing one spot at a time, that way the polish doesn't dry and the powder will stick properly. Here you can see I'm making progress with my spots!


The next step is to take a clear polish and carefully put it around the spots you've made. I'd do little bits and pieces at a time, that way you can make sure to get any little spots you need to.


The pour the powder on top and press! You may need to do this more than once if you want it to be more fluffy. I wouldn't do it more than twice though.


Once you're done with that process you've got yourself some cuddly fuzz nails. I'd love to see any of your attempts and recreations of this, so please feel free to share!










9 comments:

  1. I've never been big on flocking - something about it bugs me. But these are incredibly cute.

    I would have been tempted to leave them at the point where you just had the fluffy green spots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think flocking powder is one of my favorite textures to work it. :)

      Delete
  2. These are soooo cute. I bet you could do a fab Sully from Monsters Inc nail art with this idea. Fabulous job! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I actually did that before! :D

      http://pixelspolish.blogspot.com/2012/06/disney-inspiration-scream-team.html

      Delete
  3. Does it fall off really easy though? I think its super cute! I actually found your blog because of your flocked sully nails, so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're busy or rough with your hands, it does tend to wear quickly. But I'd say it would last a few good hours before wearing. Thanks for checking out my blog! :D

      Delete
    2. That's awesome, thanks so much! I might try some like your Monsters Inc for my trip to Disneyland!

      Delete