Monday, June 18, 2012

Disney Inspiration: Scream Team


Monsters Inc has got to be one of my favorite Pixar movies. Its full of adventure, laughs and cuteness. Not to mention the whole world is full of great colors. I wanted to bring the characters to life and make my nails recognizable. But I didn't just want to do blue with purple spots. Sulley is fuzzy, so just painting my nails wouldn't cut it for me.


I have never worked with flocking powder before, but I was really excited to do these nails. I worked on the Sulley nails first, using China Glaze For Audrey as a base. I needed to do the spots first, so I took Sally Hansen Good To Grape, made spots and pressed the flocking powder onto them. It was a little tough to then do the blue, because I needed to put down some base coat for the powder to stick. So I carefully painted around the already flocked purple spots and then pressed down some blue flocking powder.

I then worked on the Mike nail, the base is Sinful Colors Innocent and the other green is Sinful Colors Happy Endings. I wanted the eye to be almost a perfect circle. I used a stamping plate that had a peace sign on it, stamped it on and used it as a guide to fill in the rest. I used a dotting tool for the black and tiny white spots. 

I really love these nails. The colors are so bright and it left such a unique texture. I would definitely use flocking powder again! I think I'll have to keep this trick in my pocket for other fuzzy Disney characters.

Enjoy!

33 comments:

  1. Awesome job! These are really cute and I admire how much work you put into making the purple spots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow!!! This is insane! Nice work, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, these are simply amazing and so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, they were so much fun to work on. :)

      Delete
  4. Wow!!! Best use of flocking powder ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monsters Inc is one of my favorite movies and these are awesome! GREAT Job!LOVE THEM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Monsters Inc! Have you seen the preview for the new one? It looks hilarious! And thank you. :)

      Delete
  6. This is my favorite of your Disney manis! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, wow!! WAY cute. I would hate the way the flocking feels on my nails, but dang! That's so adorable I just might tolerate it!! Love!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey hunni, I've finally managed to track the originator of this down!! I sell handpainted false nails and had a customer send me the above photo because she wanted nails like this in pink, if you're on instagram, I've posted the results, my instagram is @litterfingers, I'm posting a link to your blog underneath now I've found you to give you credit for the design :)xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see someone liked it enough to recreate it. :)

      Delete
  9. just curious how long the 'look' (flocking powder) lasted and did getting your hands wet destroy it? Super, Super, Super Cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're busy with your hands it wears off fairly quickly and I'd assume getting it wet would destroy it. :/ Thank you! :D

      Delete
  10. ahhh you inspired me &i did my own, wish you could see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see! You can e-mail me a picture @ pixelspolish@hotmai.com! :)

      Delete
    2. i sent it! & funny thing was i got a set of flocking powder from Michales and i thought to myself what else can i do with this and sadly i cant do elmo cuz i have no red but i immediately thought of Cheshire Cat (as i'm HUGE alice fan) & after further review of ur blog i see you beat me to it!!(:

      Delete
    3. I got your e-mail and you did a really good job with your nails! :D

      Hehe. I think we got the same set. All those neon colors just gave me a lot of inspiration. Sadly I can't find flocking powder in craft stores anymore. :/

      Its so fun to work with!

      Delete
  11. Just wanted to let you know there is a cropped version of this mani floating around on pinterest that doesn't give you credit. I started a new pin with the full picture that links directly to this page. Love this mani!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I appreciate being credited. :) I'm not entirely sure how to go about getting photos of Pinterest, but I've been working on getting some off Instagram. I'm glad you like it!

      Delete
  12. The picture of your nails is on the MTV website. didnt know if you knew. here's the link: http://style.mtv.com/2012/09/17/velvet-manicure/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did! Thank you for sharing with me. :)

      I about fell off my chair when I saw!

      Delete
  13. I just got my flocking powder in the mail today and can't wait to give this a try!!! Super cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love!!! Added it to my recent Fun Finds post!
    http://toriamasons-treasures.blogspot.com/2013/07/fun-finds-2.html

    - Toria

    ReplyDelete