Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Gradient Dot Tutorial

So today I've decided to try my first step by step tutorial. I've seen this design done a lot, but have yet to see a tutorial for it, I saw a drawn picture and got the gist of it. So first of all you'll need two colors of polish, some scotch tape and a dotting tool/toothpick. This design really isn't as hard as it looks, but the main thing to remember is to let each layer (especially the bottom) dry really well, otherwise it might come up with the tape. Also, to prevent the polish being pulled up with the tape, try putting the tape on the back of your hand to take the extra sticky glue off. So, let's start! First of all, you need a base color. Here I used Color Club's Pink Lust. Once that sets and is completely dry, you want to place the tape diagonal across your nail.


Then take your second color, I used Sally Hansen X-Treme Wear Blue Me Away. Just put that color over the non-taped part of your nail.


Don't let the tape sit there too long or it might pull the blue up with it! It'll look like a huge mess, but once you take the tape off...


So now you want to take your dotting tool/toothpick and get a dot of polish ready. If you've never done dots before, I suggest practicing on paper first so that you can get the hang of it and not be pissed if you ruin your nails. Place the dot half on each side of the two colors.


You want to do these dots all across the line, with a little space in-between them. It'll end up looking like this...


The next step is taking the opposite color and doing the same thing, but in-between the other dots. So just place them half on each side between each of the other dots.


Once that's done, it'll look like this....


Then you just take your tool and place more dots like above and you're done! I think these nails are really unique looking and will get tons of compliments. I hope you decide to try this design because...well just look at them and tell me they don't make you smile.


Enjoy!

16 comments:

  1. Love it! I may have to try this one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super helpful! Thank you for sharing! I'll have to try this next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see what colors you'd use!

      Delete
  3. Whoa. WHOA. I NEED TO TRY THIS! thank you 0_0

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome tut. thanks for making it. I'm gonna try it today... I'll post a pic on my blog when I do.. plz check out my blog. I have a Nail art contest going on and I'd love for you to enter. please visit my facebook page. All the info is on my blog. I don't wanna put my link here cuz sometimes girls are weird and think it's spamming their page. So I hope to hear from you. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'd love it if you would credit this blog post in your blog post of the gradient dot nails. :D

      Delete
  5. yeah.. totally didn't turn out as good as yours :( but practice makes perfect...I have to do them again when i'm not so tired.. my spacing was off but either way the end result still looks nice..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished this on my nails, it's a tad different though. I'd just done a wave and dots out of it on my toes and was waiting for it to dry when I saw this and thought oh, gorgeous! I love the organization of it. So now my nails are the same except I only dot out one colour, like I'd done on my toes.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saw this tutorial and went out and bought a dotting tool to try it! I am so excited!

    ReplyDelete